Name: Junior DevOps Systems Administrator Intern -- 2 positions available
School: Harvard Medical School (HMS)
Location: USA - MA – Boston
Term: Spring 2019
Start/End: January 14 - April 19, 2019
Status: Full Time Internship (35 hrs/week)
Schedule: Mon - Fri 9-5
Hourly Rate: $20.00
Research Information Technology Solutions (RITS) works collaboratively with researchers at Harvard Medical School (HMS) to identify, design, and deliver a wide range of technological solutions at the ever-changing forefront of biomedical research. The intern will work closely with local IT groups, HMS Core Facilities, the HMS IT Client Services, and the Research Computing Teams. We strive to provide valued, sustainable, and well-supported, services that meet research needs.
The key to success is the ability to:
- Develop relationships and resources with researchers to provide sustainable solutions.
- Aid in local research planning, goal setting, communication, and project coordination.
- Provide quick effective solutions to local and proof-of-concept solutions.
- Leverage the wealth of available IT expertise and to provide valued solutions.
- Create reusable resources and solutions for the HMS research community.
The Junior DevOps Systems Administrator Internship gives students real hands on DevOps and Systems Administration experience. In this role, students will be responsible for, server deployments, monitoring, maintenance, developments, upgrades, and day to day support of the RITS supported IT Infrastructure. A successful candidate is a self-starter, has strong collaboration and communication skills, and is passionate about cloud technology.
Additional Responsibilities Include:
- Maintain technical configuration and knowledge base documentation.
- Provide interim end user support as well as support for existing solutions at HMS.
- Assist with migration planning and support.
- Setting up new systems using available HMS campus resources.
- Interface with engineering teams as an IT consultant and/or analyst, gathering customer requirements and ensuring consistency with organizational goals.
- Research new technologies and trends to support IT and Engineering projects.
Expected Educational Opportunities:
- Provide core services to biomedical researchers.
- Provide specialized tools as a service to researchers.
- Collaborate on service design.
- Exposure to High Performance Computing (HPC) for basic science research.
- Exposure and networking opportunities with technology vendors.
- Gain practical experience with Cloud technology providers and services such as, Amazon Web Services, Microsoft Azure, Google Cloud, DropBox, RackSpace, OpenStack, and ThreatStack.
- Intermediate experience with day to day production of Linux systems administration (applying patches and updates, securing, and installing software applications, and automation)
- Excellent communication and presentation skills.
- Demonstrable critical thinking and creative problem solving skills.
- Capable of delivering on requirements when working in a team and on solo projects.
- Ability to prioritize and evaluate customer specifications & service requirements.
- Ability to communicate technical ideas to both technical and non-technical audiences.
- Ability to be a strong “self-starter” and motivated to research and learn independently
- Ability to install and/or remove infrastructure related hardware (servers, switches, routers, backup batteries, etc.)
Desired Technical Skills:
- Advanced experience with Excel, Word, Google Docs
- Beginner experience with Amazon Web Services (AWS), and Amazon EC2
- Beginner experience with VMware / ESXi
- Beginner experience with Dev-Ops
Beginner to Intermediate Experience
- Beginner to intermediate experience with Windows Operating Systems (2008-r2,2012-r2,2016)
- Beginner to intermediate experience with Active Directory Services
- Intermediate experience with Linux Operating Systems (Ubuntu, Debian, CentOS, RedHat, Suse)
- Intermediate experience supporting production of web applications and web hosting environments.
- Intermediate experience with coding ability and basic scripting knowledge of Bash, Python, Java, HTML, etc.
- Intermediate experience with technical documentation.
- Intermediate experience with supporting physical IT infrastructure.
- Intermediate experience with computer networking.
- Intermediate experience with Git, Gitosis, GitHub, BitBucket, GitLab.
If you are interested in applying for this position send a cover letter and a copy of your resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note: ALL full-time RITS internships (35 hours per week) requires that interns either MUST be currently enrolled in a degree program and receive academic credit, or that an internship or co-op is required to graduate.
Internship Application Process
Application Deadline: December 21, 2018
Interviews: December 17-21, 2018
Final Decision: December 21, 2018
Internship Start Date: January 14, 2019
- To learn about the experiences of former RITS interns, please visit https://rits.hms.harvard.edu/rits-alumni