TITLE: Research Data Management Analyst
DEPARTMENT: Information Technology
Location: USA - MA – Boston
Schedule: Mon-Fri 9-5 (35 hrs/week)
Application Deadline: July 13, 2018
The Research Data Management Analyst (RDM Analyst) will assist the HMS Research Data Manager with enabling HMS researchers to understand, manage, classify, and organize their data throughout its lifecycle to improve the research data organization process. Under the direction of the HMS Research Data Manager, the RDM Analyst will perform outreach with faculty and researchers to gather information about data management workflows, data storage, and data management challenges. The RDM Analyst will assist labs in the implementation of data storage management plans designed by the Research Data Manager. The RDM Analyst will seek out opportunities to collaborate with labs and will maintain existing connections with designated labs that are assigned by the Research Data Manager.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Initiate and maintain working relationships with faculty, staff, and lab members through outreach, correspondence, meetings, and follow-up.
- Implement data storage management plans through lab consultations based on lab outreach assessments and subsequent assignment from the Research Data Manager.
- Increase visibility of research data management services through active presence within the community and attendance at relevant events, as directed by the Research Data Manager.
- Provide support to the Research Data Manager with incident response and inquiry triage.
- Advocate for data management best practices on the Harvard Medical School campus in multiple contexts.
- Collaborate with the Research Data Manager to curate and update research data management resources and educational materials.
- Provide mentorship guidance for interns, including establishing learning objectives and providing constructive feedback.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree, and a minimum 1-2 years of experience in data organization.
- Prior experience with and ability to interact with scientists, computer professionals, and project managers.
- Demonstrated knowledge of the research data lifecycle.
- Master’s Degree in library science or related field preferred.
- Strong commitment to customer service; ability to work in a demanding, fast-paced environment.
- Ability to create working partnerships with multiple researchers and lab managers.
- Strong organizational skills, communication skills (written, oral and presentation); a concern for accuracy, details and quality.
- Tolerance of ambiguity and uncertainty in a constantly evolving field.
- Adaptability and ability to prioritize work and to be flexible in job tasks.
- Highly self-motivated and directed.
- Ability to take direction from supervisors/managers.
- Experience mentoring interns and co-ops.
- Comfortability keeping up with emerging trends, best practices, and new knowledge in the fields of data management, the research data lifecycle, and information technology.
To apply for this position, please visit the Harvard Careers website. This position will be publicly visible starting on July 11th, 2018.
FALL 2018 INTERNSHIPS - Now Accepting Applications for the Fall 2018 Junior DevOps Systems Administration Internships!
- Medical School's Research IT Solutions Department offers internships for the spring, summer, and fall semesters. If you are interested in applying and attend BU, WIT, NEU, or UMass Boston, please apply through your respective university's website. If you do not attend one of these universities but would like to apply, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org with a copy of your resume and a cover letter. ALL RITS internships requires that interns MUST be currently enrolled in a degree program and receive academic credit.
Name: Junior DevOps Systems Administrator Intern -- 2 positions available
School: Harvard Medical School (HMS)
Location: USA - MA – Boston
Term: Fall 2018
Start/End: September 5 - December 21, 2018
Status: Full Time Internship (35 hrs/week)
Schedule: Mon - Fri 9-5
Hourly Rate: $20.00
Research Information Technology Solutions (RITS) works collaboratively with researchers at Harvard Medical School (HMS) to identify, design, and deliver a wide range of technological solutions at the ever-changing forefront of biomedical research. The intern will work closely with local IT groups, HMS Core Facilities, the HMS IT Client Services, and the Research Computing Teams. We strive to provide valued, sustainable, and well-supported, services that meet research needs.
The key to success is the ability to:
- Develop relationships and resources with researchers to provide sustainable solutions.
- Aid in local research planning, goal setting, communication, and project coordination.
- Provide quick effective solutions to local and proof-of-concept solutions.
- Leverage the wealth of available IT expertise and to provide valued solutions.
- Create reusable resources and solutions for the HMS research community.
The Junior DevOps Systems Administrator Internship gives students real hands on DevOps and Systems Administration experience. In this role, students will be responsible for, server deployments, monitoring, maintenance, developments, upgrades, and day to day support of the RITS supported IT Infrastructure. A successful candidate is a self-starter, has strong collaboration and communication skills, and is passionate about cloud technology.
Additional Responsibilities Include:
- Maintain technical configuration and knowledge base documentation.
- Provide interim end user support as well as support for existing solutions at HMS.
- Assist with migration planning and support.
- Setting up new systems using available HMS campus resources.
- Interface with engineering teams as an IT consultant and/or analyst, gathering customer requirements and ensuring consistency with organizational goals.
- Research new technologies and trends to support IT and Engineering projects.
Expected Educational Opportunities:
- Provide core services to biomedical researchers.
- Provide specialized tools as a service to researchers.
- Collaborate on service design.
- Exposure to High Performance Computing (HPC) for basic science research.
- Exposure and networking opportunities with technology vendors.
- Gain practical experience with Cloud technology providers and services such as, Amazon Web Services, Microsoft Azure, Google Cloud, DropBox, RackSpace, OpenStack, and ThreatStack.
- Intermediate experience with day to day production of Linux systems administration (applying patches and updates, securing, and installing software applications, and automation)
- Excellent communication and presentation skills.
- Demonstrable critical thinking and creative problem solving skills.
- Capable of delivering on requirements when working in a team and on solo projects.
- Ability to prioritize and evaluate customer specifications & service requirements.
- Ability to communicate technical ideas to both technical and non-technical audiences.
- Ability to be a strong “self-starter” and motivated to research and learn independently
- Ability to install and/or remove infrastructure related hardware (servers, switches, routers, backup batteries, etc.)
Desired Technical Skills:
- Advanced experience with Excel, Word, Google Docs
- Beginner experience with Amazon Web Services (AWS), and Amazon EC2
- Beginner experience with VMware / ESXi
- Beginner experience with Dev-Ops
Beginner to Intermediate Experience
- Beginner to intermediate experience with Windows Operating Systems (2008-r2,2012-r2,2016)
- Beginner to intermediate experience with Active Directory Services
- Intermediate experience with Linux Operating Systems (Ubuntu, Debian, CentOS, RedHat, Suse)
- Intermediate experience supporting production of web applications and web hosting environments.
- Intermediate experience with coding ability and basic scripting knowledge of Bash, Python, Java, HTML, etc.
- Intermediate experience with technical documentation.
- Intermediate experience with supporting physical IT infrastructure.
- Intermediate experience with computer networking.
- Intermediate experience with Git, Gitosis, GitHub, BitBucket, GitLab.
If you are interested in applying for this position send a cover letter and a copy of your resume to: email@example.com. Please note: ALL full-time RITS internships (35 hours per week) requires that interns either MUST be currently enrolled in a degree program and receive academic credit, or that an internship or co-op is required to graduate.
Internship Application Process
- Application Deadline: August 24, 2018
- Interviews: August 20-29, 2018
- Final Decision: August 29, 2018
- Internship Start Date: September 5, 2018
- To learn about the experiences of former RITS interns, please visit https://rits.hms.harvard.edu/rits-alumni